Inn History

Zenas Cook House

Zenas Cook House (1830) was built and maintained by Zenas Cook (1815-1892). The son of Capt. Elijah and Rhoda (Hathorn) Cook, Zenas was one of Friendship’s founders. He lived there with wife Mary Bradford Cook and their son, author Melville Bradford Cook (Records of Meduncook Plantation and Friendship, Maine, 1762-1899), until his death in 1892.

The Outsiders' Inn Bed & Breakfast

© Salt Story Archive

In 1987, Bill and Debbie Michaud moved to Friendship—leaving their jobs at Wesleyan University (Middletown, CT) to turn Zenas Cook House into a bed and breakfast they called, The Outsiders Inn. Along with daughter Emily, they managed the bed and breakfast, as well as the Maine guide service and sea kayak rental business, Wild Bill’s Sea Kayaking for more than thirty years. In October (2018) they retired. Best known for their humility, and knowledge of both the land they inhabited, and the people who live there, Bill and Debbie leave behind a legacy, which will live on for generations to come.